Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Ileana wrote an article called "Voter ID Laws - The Troubles are There" and I could not agree more with her. 
For blog stage 5, I wrote on the same issue that the voter ID laws will be troubling for people. 
Ileana points out all the facts that I've listed in my article. 
First, yes, as long as the name matches the voter ID card, one will be fine to vote. But if there is just a slight difference in any part of the name, voters will have to sign an affidavit to confirm that they are who they are. This is the problem for the women as Ileana mentions. Many women who have just gotten married or divorced will have different last name, causing them a hard time to vote. 
Second, as Ileana mentions, some people just do not own some sort of identification with them and I totally agree as some people I know just generally do not own any kind of IDs with them. Maybe they carry a school ID but the voter ID law says that people will not be able to vote with school ID. 
Ileana points out a great point that I haven't thought of before. "Why were the hours extended after the law was passed, and not before?" I totally agree with her in that it would be more sensible to take care of people who do not own IDs before the law was passed. Taking care of people who do not own IDs after the law has been passed would just be a total frustration for the voters AND the government. And as the November the 5th election mentions, some people did have frustration over their names not matching or not having the voter ID card. 
"The problem lies not in the law itself, but in the way it was enacted. If a law had been passed first, that required Texas of the age of 18 to have an ID, there wouldn't have been so many reasons to be against the law of voter ID." I could not have said this any better. I'm glad that there are someone else who dislikes the voter ID law as much as I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment